Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Emilia: 2 1/2 years old

Last week, Emilia hit the 2 1/2 year-old mark. It shouldn't be surprising... she is definitely in the full stride of a typical teenager, er, I mean, two-year old.

As Anna is coming into her own, Emilia already has a larger-than-life personality. I describe her as high and low: when she's happy, she is precious, and when she's not, look out. Here are some highlights:


Her conversation skills are really taking off. When she wants to be, she is very articulate. Catch her speaking skills by clicking on the new video, "Emilia Goes to the Store," by clicking on Our Videos.

  • The number of questions she asks in a day are immeasurable. "Why... ? What's that... ? What are you doing?"
  • She speaks in full sentences and often uses after/when statements, such as, "After I go to sleep, I will wake up and go to school", "When I am sick, I will go to the doctor, okay?" "When I eat ice cream, I will roll up my sleeves."
  • She has a crazy memory -- recalling things that happened months ago like "I went to the music bad and then we had to go home because it was too loud on daddy’s ears” (true statement – Eric got too aggressive and sat too close at our last Rockno concert).
  • She is a great narrator for our life, especially when it comes to Anna ("she's crying, she spit up." etc.).
  • She makes sure to tell us which of her friends are boys and which are girls.
  • She is trying to make sense of different names for people. She'll say "Mom is mommy. Dad is daddy. Mia is Emilia." If I call her honey or sweetheart, she'll say, "No, it's Emilia." She's also been calling us by our first names... great.
  • Her vocab has expanded to include many adjectives, like: "I'm so fancy," "that's cute," "it's delicious," and "that's beautiful."


She loves:
  • food, with the exception of most sweets (go figure)
  • music and dancing, specifically her music band, Rocknoceros (the first thing she does in the morning is turn on her CD player, by herself mind you)
  • books (Olivia, We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Cinderella, Green Eggs and Ham, among many more)
  • pretend play, especially cooking with play dough in her kitchen
  • horsing around with daddy (see the new video, "Again," by clicking on Our Videos)
  • Chick-fil-A (and every detail from the nuggets, fruit and milk to the play areas and each local restaurant)
  • brushing her own teeth with her new Dora electric toothbrush, watching her own hands, etc.
  • picking out her own clothes and accessories, including schooling me on what matches and what doesn't
  • dressing and undressing herself, including her entire snow suit this weekend (and yes, she recently took her shirt off in Costco)
  • school, Costco free samples, the moon, garbage trucks and school buses
  • making her sister smile, complete with baby talk mimicking mommy
  • talking on the phone - both for real and pretend
  • her friends... she prays for them every night!

On the potty training front, she has a good day and then not such a good day. The princess underwear have helped!

It seems like overnight she has turned into a little person. We can't wait to see how she will continue to grow!

No comments: